Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Sassy

Inspirational song: California Gurls (Katy Perry)

As Stan Marsh so often said, I learned a valuable lesson today. (Or this week. Same diff.) I'd been chasing a dream for so long, not even recognizing that I once held it in my hands and moved away from it. I had wanted a chin length curly hairdo for most of my life, but most of that time I didn't have enough curl to achieve it. Over the last few years, I had the curl, but I didn't know how to manage it, and was afraid to cut off the length for fear that the curls wouldn't come back.

I got the nerve to cut my hair short this summer. I had to go in two phases to get all the way there. As I did that, I learned that the curl still existed, it just needed me to treat it right. Last week I dyed my roots, and went digging in the old products buried in my cabinet to style it. Came up with mousse I probably moved at least twice cross-country. Darned if that wasn't all I needed all along. No more heavy curl defining cremes and gels. Just a single application of mousse on very wet hair and diffuse. I'll work on making neat curls rather than a chaotic mess, now that I'm sure I have the right stuff. The chaos is still fun, though. One of my Rotary friends called it "sassy," and I realized that was exactly what I'd been wanting all along. Gives me Queenie vibes (from the Fantastic Beasts franchise).

I didn't know what I'd be writing about tonight, so I had only taken one other photo before bedtime. I learned today that polka-dot plant (hypoestes) produce flowers if left to their own devices. I had no idea. I'm going to plant these outside a lot next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment