Monday, August 7, 2023

Hobby Surprise

Inspirational song: Montana (Frank Zappa)

Mr S-P sighed when he came into the house this afternoon. "You know that feeling when you go out to buy two pieces of lumber and come home a beekeeper?" No really, this is what happened. He sent home a photo from Resource of a stack of wooden things on a pallet. I looked it over, thinking maybe I could use some of them as planty things. I asked what it was. He said, "bee houses," and confirmed that we would have to buy the whole pallet, not just a piece or two. Still imagining they were the little birdhouse-like things you hang on a fence, full of little wooden tubes for bees to hang out in, I said yeah, do it. No... not little houses. Full-on beekeeping stuff. So, as projects get done out back (like the flagstone patio), we can try to set these up. If it works, who wants some honey?

I needed to repot a pothos plant that has been growing rather enthusiastically in my bathroom. It had been growing up a small stake (paint stir stick), and up the corner towards the light. I didn't realize how firmly it had attached to the wall, and to the little framed print of the Sword Gate hanging there. When I tried to pick up the plant, it ripped the print off the wall and smashed the frame, but luckily the glass didn't shatter around my bare feet. I had to pry the plant out of the wall, where it left scars. I moved my zebra plant up to the shelf, where it can get good light. The pothos got a larger pot, terracotta this time, and a weathered fence picket for a new plank. I will try to keep a better eye on it in its new position, to keep it from eating any more drywall.

I needed a replacement frame for the print, and I'd watched enough of those decorate with me videos to send me to Hobby Lobby this afternoon. I found a couple clearance frames (I couldn't remember if I needed 4x6 or 5x7), and I found the big wooden acorn I'd seen on those videos and wanted. I mostly just looked at things and started an inventory in my mind of what I'd like to use to decorate. I did get myself a nice large coffee mug that says "sweater weather," even though we aren't quite there yet. But it's coming. Just you wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment