Saturday, August 26, 2023

Social-ish

Inspirational song: Saturday In the Park (Chicago)

We appear to have found the way to get everyone to agree to nap. We took the crew to a Rotary social, and let grandpa chase the kids up and down the sidewalk next to where we were gathered. It was challenging for the three of them, for very different reasons, but they seemed to come out of it in good moods. After an hour at the social, we went to Lowe's for a single item, and then I took us up to Sonic for an ice cream after. We pulled into the stall, I ordered, and then I looked at all my passengers. Mr S-P's head was tipped forward, and his eyes were closed. Dmitri's head was tipped back, and he was out cold. Valerie was slumped to one side in her car seat, sawing logs. I didn't take a still photo, but rather showed a video to my daughters. It was a nice quiet car ride home from there.

I'm still running on fumes, despite getting plenty of sleep these days. Those kids are taking it out of me. I imagine there will come a day when I can just be the adult present and not have to pop up three seconds after sitting down constantly all day, just to keep the Professor from getting into something sharp or breakable. If the majority of my plant collection survives his toddlerhood, I will be amazed. I feel like I ought to be stern with him, but then those big blue eyes look at me, and he makes proto-words with the cutest baby voice, and I'm tempted to throw open all my cupboards and drawers and tell him to play with whatever he wants. I'll clean up after he leaves. Then they get picked up and I am so relieved that I finally get to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment