Friday, August 25, 2023

Rehydrated

Inspirational song: I Love a Rainy Night (Eddie Rabbitt)

Look, I know at some level we aren't supposed to revel in the existence of a tropical storm. But the remnants of that quickie tropical storm that came up here from the Gulf, snaking around the heat dome? Yeah, inject that right into my veins. It was so beautifully cool and damp today. I am refreshed. I was starting to droop like a dried-out peace lily, and now I'm perking up.

I was really pondering the difference I feel between sunny and cloudy days. From my perch inside, when I look out on a bright sunny day, I can't imagine wanting to go outside. It's entirely inhospitable, to the point that I can anticipate pain on my skin just imagining walking in it. But when it is completely overcast, it's like looking out at a covered patio. It feels like an extension of my home, and the idea of wandering around relaxes me. Too bad I'm not willing to go live in a different part of the country (or a different country entirely), to get more days per year that are cloudy. I'm done moving.

For a while this evening, we had the attic fan running, because my room hadn't cooled off sufficiently from the last week of heat. It made the living room too cold, and I grabbed a small throw blanket. Immediately I had two boys stretched out on my lap, taking advantage of the warm spot. We are back in cat cuddle puddle season.

No comments:

Post a Comment