Wednesday, August 16, 2023

On This Day

Inspirational song: Love Me Tender (Elvis Presley)

Even though the Mr had said something last night like "oh, you know what tomorrow is," it didn't occur to me why he decided to go on the hike to Blue Lake again. He had just gone a few weeks ago. Not even after I saw someone post online the last photograph of Elvis Presley, before he died on this date in 1977, and sent a screenshot to the Mr did I put it all together as a whole. It was later in the afternoon that it all fell into place. He marked the day by hiking to his father's favorite fishing spot, the place where he died of a heart attack within a few hours of Elvis doing the same. 

He left before I got out of bed this morning, and I even got up early-ish. I wandered out at about 7:30, not realizing he had already left. I kept expecting him to come in from the yard or something. Because Boulder canyon has absolutely no cell service, I had to just hope that was where he had gone so early. It wasn't until the animals' dinner time that any messages came through from him, as he was on his way back down. All at once we got some pretty pictures and an alarming note about how he'd dropped his keys back at the car and didn't know until he got off the hike.

I mostly worked on getting the house ready for game night. I took out trash and recycling, and added in some expired food from the pantry while I was at it. I figure if it was pre-pandemic, I don't need to keep it around anymore. Slowly I am switching over to fall decorations. It's early yet, so I can fiddle with things until they look good. I'm just testing for now. Also, it turns out that when you run a whole house fan and sit on the opposite side of where your fall scented candles are burning, none of those luscious smells make it to you. Something to keep in mind, in this transition weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment