Saturday, November 4, 2023

By Tuesday

Inspirational song: Sufferin' Till Sufferage (Schoolhouse Rock)

I was supposed to start canvassing the neighborhood three days ago, to post the "vote now" notes on the doors of folks who hadn't turned in their ballots yet. With everything going on, I had neither time nor energy to start on it. I didn't today either, but I did manage to delegate it to the right people. While Dmitri and I lay down for a much-needed nap, Valerie and grandpa went for a walk. She even helped post the notes. She's learning her civics early. When they came back from working the south end of the precinct, I took the list and remaining notes to my co-captain to do the north.

This year someone got smart and printed the information on sticky notes, so it wasn't a pain in the butt, juggling paper, blue painters tape, and a list of addresses printed weird (even numbers and then odd, so you have to go down one side of the street and up the other.) I hope they never go back from this. It's the best way. 

We haven't turned in our ballots yet, so technically our address was on the list. But enough people had been scanned in that there were only two pages of addresses to hit. I still have to study the ballot issues and the candidates. There is a statewide proposition that confuses me. I can't tell whether it's a bad solution to a bad problem, or something we have needed for a long time. It feels like it could hinder school and library funding in the long term. Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong. This is why I haven't voted...

No comments:

Post a Comment