Sunday, November 26, 2023

Decking

Inspirational song: Cult of Personality (Living Colour)

All the itchy parts of my goblin brain demanded I start putting up the twinkle lights right away. I obeyed, and got started. I needed the Mr to pull the tree down from the upper reaches of the garage, but the rest I did mostly on my own.

We needed to run some errands this morning before kid time. Costco, Michael's, and Lowe's are all kind of in a row, so we hit them in order. My primary destination was Michael's, so that I could update my side table display. I wanted more glittery, icy looking things this year. I got some new ribbon and a garland with tiny disco balls on it. I also grabbed some sprigs of artificial berries and one giant green disco ball. We split up on that part of the run, and while the Mr was in Lowe's (getting rubber feet to quiet that metal chair noise), he saw a good deal on natural wreaths. Now the tree is up (no ornaments), the spare table is sparkly, there are two wreaths, and I loosely draped some colored lights along my plant bar in the front window. We are a long way from done, but it's scratching that itch. I'm waiting for the timer lights to flick off, so that I can sit in the glow of the fairy lights.

Four days in a row with the kids into everything here was a lot. By the time they went home, I was more than ready for a little time off. I didn't get as far as I wanted in educating Valerie about Santa lore, but we did watch an old Disney short about Rudolph. This one had a burly Santa who was very understanding about Rudolph's nose, as opposed to the Rankin-Bass version where he was complicit in the bullying of the oddball until he could use him for his own purposes. Not sure how deeply to discuss that with Val at this early stage. Probably not much.

No comments:

Post a Comment