Sunday, November 5, 2023

Learning the Skills

Inspirational song: Someday, Someway (Marshall Crenshaw)

A couple times in the last few months, I have seen a meme saying that adulthood is just saying, "I just have to make it through this week, and things will lighten up" over and over until you die. I can't laugh at it, because it is too true. This evening, I find myself at one of those "everything is done, now I can rest" delusional moments. I made it through the long string of commitments that was October and early November, and I should be able to coast for a couple of weeks. But then I look around the house, and the unbelievable shambles that has been left by illness, childcare, and ADHD projects that we both got sidetracked on, and I know this week will be anything but coasting.

We started babysitting early today. My washer is still on the fritz (four repair attempts later), so I took laundry to my daughter's house to wash. I was dropped off there, and the kids were picked up, so they could visit the Boulder airport with their grandpa. He forgot his phone at home, so he failed to get pictures. I was told that because it was so windy today, no one was really flying, so there were planes available for Valerie to sit in. I would have loved a picture of that.

The kids had tons of energy and even more volume today. They did plenty of running and a whole lot of random, loud vocalizing. At least Dmitri is still of an age that he needed a solid nap mid day. After their baths, Val asked to watch our favorite Polish rug cleaner on YouTube. Dmitri watched intently, like he was studying techniques to use later. That boy is obsessed with cleaning tools. Household ones too. Put a mop or a toy lawn mower in his hands, he will go to town with it. We have to keep the bathroom door shut the entire time he is here, because he always tries to grab the toilet brush and clean the potty. The cordless screwdriver was left in his reach today, and I had to battle him to get it back. I think I need to just put a basket of microfiber wash cloths next to his toy chest, and tell him he can dust anything he can reach. Once he is taller, he gets more jobs. Is it still child labor if he thinks he is having fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment