Thursday, November 30, 2023

Whirr

Inspirational song: Be Good Johnny (Men at Work)

I'm really getting the hang of this online shopping thing. I had an emotional block to it for years, preferring to shop in person by a country mile. I like to see and touch things before I buy. I also hate the idea of sending things back. But now that there is a way to return Amazon things by just handing them to a human at Kohls, there is less reason to resist anymore. 

The order for the kids arrived just after sundown today. I peeked in the box, and I'm so excited about the gifts. I'm pretty sure I still intend to give the kids the ones I selected for each, but I might swap them. There is a big difference in the tool sets--one is more hand tools, the other is more power tools. I think Valerie is more of a "chainsaw like grandpa" kind of girl, and Dmitri needs his own power drill like the one he keeps trying to steal from grandpa. I think I have enough AA batteries to fill both kits. (Side note: I found the first thing I am super disappointed in from Costco: Kirkland batteries suck.)

The chainsaw brings up strong memories. When we last lived in California, there was a Halloween to remember. Older daughter's high school boyfriend wore a costume based on Texas Chainsaw Massacre. He had a bloody apron, a full-face mask, and a toy chainsaw that made noise. He was wearing the whole getup, and came around the corner in the house, holding the whirring chainsaw. My sweet calico Cricket saw him appear, and when I say she lost her shit, I mean that literally. There is nothing that can match the scent of fear poop. Poor cat. It took her the rest of the night to calm down, and it took a week for the kitchen to stop stinking. I will be conscious of this when the children play power tools in this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment