Sunday, November 19, 2023

On the Up and Up

Inspirational song: Love's Great Adventure (Ultravox)

A few days ago, Mr S-P picked up some kid-sized climbing shoes for Valerie. She has been bouncing off the walls ever since, wanting to go to the climbing gym to try them out. Today, as soon as Dmitri drifted off for his nap, they took off to do just that. Judging from the videos that were sent home, that girl is really getting the hang of it. Later, when she was home, I showed her some of those videos. On the first one, it showed her from behind, blonde hair streaming down her back. I asked, "Who is that?" She answered, "Mommy." Surprised, I looked at the big kid climbing the wall, and saw what she saw. Once video-Val got to the top of the wall section and turned around, and in-person Val realized it was her, I said, "You really do look like your mommy," and I meant it to be the highest compliment I could pay her.

A short way into Dmitri's nap, I think he half-woke, and then rolled himself off the bed. He started out whimpering, and ended up howling, walking down the hallway. I picked him up, hugged him a little, and then we rocked in my chair until he settled back down. He ended up sleeping on me for over an hour, canceling my plans to deep clean the kitchen ahead of Thanksgiving meal prep. I got very little done today, thanks to those goofy kids. I told myself I'd work after they went home, but instead, I took a hot shower, put on fuzzy jammies, and fell asleep in my chair until after 10. 

I did get one important task accomplished. While the kids were here, we video called their auntie to wish her a happy birthday. I'm seriously in denial that she is so deeply into adulthood. In my head, she is still a wild child exactly like Valerie is right now. There is a good chance she will remain that kid forever for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment