Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Key Play

Inspirational song: In the Evening (Led Zeppelin)

I'm almost caught up. I've got at least my nose above water around here, if not my whole head. Not every single task is complete, but enough is under control that I should be able to sleep easier tonight. At least I hope I can. After all I did today, I'm sore everywhere. I'd prefer to sleep through the duration of that. 

While knowing those who gathered to play games would stay in the living room and dining room, for the most part, instead I turned my focus to cleaning the deep, dark parts of my room. It needed a lot of things moved and dusted. It's amazing how different the air feels when the dust is gone. I had let that get out of hand while I was overwhelmed and sick. I even made it to the part I had ignored the longest, the disorganized mess that was my bookcase. I have now removed all of the romance novels that I don't touch anymore (the Julia Quinn Bridgerton series was the last to go), and that made it possible to spread out the children's books and whatever DVDs had migrated up here. I was so proud of it when I was done, but honest with myself that it probably wouldn't survive first contact with Dmitri. The kids were in my room watching Disney+ for part of the evening, and they did relatively little damage. I'm impressed.

When it came time to send the kids home, and we moved our game from an unworkable layout in the living room to the table, we discovered that Dmitri's real funny business was losing the car keys. There were four adults shining flashlights in every still-dusty crevice in this house for over half an hour, and we could not find a lanyard with a huge clump of keys anywhere. Eventually I got lucky and found them under a footstool, in a room I know we all searched thoroughly three or four times. So that showed me maybe I didn't make as much progress cleaning up as I thought. It never ends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment