Saturday, November 25, 2023

Higher and Higher

Inspirational song: Climb Every Mountain (Sound of Music)

You just can't keep a good man down. Especially when that man is almost a year and a half old, and is perfecting his climbing skills. Even in man-to-man coverage, we couldn't keep Dmitri off of high perches. When one of us needed to handle a task, throwing us into zone defense, all hope was lost. Professor Grabbyhands is quick, and he is agile. Places he particularly liked today were the stepladder up to the counter where the cats eat, the short glass table between my chair and the piano, and naturally the antique bench by my fabric dresser, above which I store the TV remotes. When he was placed on his metal chair, he kept spinning around backwards, hanging his legs off the back, and throttling the chair like it was a bucking bronc that he barely had control of. When he was only next to same chair, we were treated to a reprise of the metal-scraping-tile song.

We were tentatively planning to go play Mario Kart this evening, but we were so wiped out at the end of the day, I raced off to put on old, loose jammies before the kids were fully buckled into their car seats. The Mr made noises about how he ought to go to the climbing gym, as he often does in the evenings, but while I was still sprawled out waiting for my nerves to stop vibrating, he turned up in his jammies as well. 

I tried multiple times to get Christmas decorations from the garage. I even pulled three tubs off the shelf, but I never could make it back out there with a wet wash cloth to get dust off them so they could come in the house. The kids were just too into everything. I was needed too much. I have goals of bringing in equipment tomorrow morning, before they arrive, so maybe we can set up the tree and some lights with them. I promise this now: all ornaments will be made of plastic, wood, or plush this year. Breakables stay in the garage. Most people worry about cats climbing Christmas trees. I have a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment