Friday, November 17, 2023

Meal Prep

Inspirational song: Life of the Party (Charlie Robison)

There is a non-zero chance that once we all finally sit down for Thanksgiving dinner, grandma is going to knock back too many glasses of wine. My holiday prep so far has been hard labor, and I'm going to want some grape-flavored pain relief right about then. I doubt I will allow myself a drop between now and then. I can't take that much of a break. Periodic rests, yes. Rests with a sedative effect, no. (Editing Anne breaking in to say now is a good time to listen to the inspirational song, at least through the first verse.)

I started early this morning, going to King Soopers to act as toddler-wrangler. It was a harder job than usual, because halfway through, Dmitri had a total meltdown. It was his naptime, and he was so tired of being forced to sit in a cart, facing his grandmother. Valerie got very upset every time she was asked to ride in the other cart (yes, we travel with two, so my daughter can load up on chunky things like paper towels and cat litter). I was very glad to have done most of my Thanksgiving shopping a week ago. I did forget a couple things, and will have to brave the madhouse sometime this weekend. 

As many of you will recall, I needed to replace my oven, the one that had forgotten how to heat up in a timely manner. We removed the old one last week, and it has been hauled off to metal recycling already. The replacement, which has been sitting in the garage waiting for mountain build season to conclude, is now in the kitchen. It isn't all the way in the wall yet. We had to modify the cabinets, since it we are going from single to double ovens. We bought this one from the Habitat Restore (or maybe it was Boulder Resource--impossible for me to remember now), and it needed some serious cleaning. The upper oven, the one with the convection option, was filthy. I don't think the previous owner ever used the lower. I have scrubbed and scrubbed, and it's usable now. We had to take apart the doors, after I caused a little Barkeepers Friend to drip between the glass on the upper one. And if we were tearing apart one to clean all the way through, we might as well do both. Because we can't ever do things the quick and easy way.

After all these months without a functional oven, and all the effort to put this one in operation, I plan on baking every single meal for the next month. I will go out of my way to modify a recipe to change it from stovetop to oven, if I have to. It's the principle of the thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment