Thursday, November 23, 2023

No Effort November

Inspirational song: Iron Man (Black Sabbath)

There is a channel on YouTube I really like (well, there are bunches, but this one is relevant) called Technology Connections. I first watched him years ago, explaining the complete functionality of dishwashers. Since then, I've learned a ton about electronics, heat pumps, electric cars, and much more. He has a thing he does called No-Effort November, where his videos are on way simpler topics, with less elaborate demonstrations, and many of the bloopers left in the videos. When our friend asked what games to bring for board game night, I told him easy stuff that would fit this theme. I'm already putting in way too much effort elsewhere. Thus I got to play two rounds of Cosmic Wimpout (winning the first one by a lot) before I had to get back up and go back to the kitchen. If you don't recognize it from the attached photo, we used mini figurines from Encanto as our game tokens. I was Julieta, the mom of the main character Mirabel, the one who heals people with food as her magical gift.

The same friend who went with us on the eclipse trip has come down to join us for Thanksgiving, and is staying here for a couple nights. Just as she was our miracle who helped us and the kids make it through that difficult camping trip, she has been amazing here. With her help, we have gotten the place almost completely cleared out and cleaned for tomorrow's dinner. We've moved the toy tower (and thinned out what the kids have access to), leaving a space where the Christmas tree will go this weekend. The tables are moved and expanded, the chairs have 90% less cat hair embedded on them, the floors are almost entirely clean, and clutter corners are surprisingly empty. We are going to make it.

I didn't get as much cooking done today as I should have, because the counters were covered during key cooking times, and I had to dedicate too much of my energy to cleaning before help arrived. But I got a lot of my baking done in advance. Rolls, pumpkin pies, and the cornbread croutons for dressing are all baked. For the hundredth time, I had to write my mother and ask for a photo of the pecan pie recipe. I can't keep track of it to save my life. I ask for it almost every major holiday. I didn't get it until almost midnight, so that pie will be baked tomorrow.

I honestly didn't expect to be able to blog once I limped into the bedroom. I'm surprised I got this far. I'm sore, I had too much coffee late in the day, and I can only think of what's left on my to-do list. I see the end, though, kind of like a trail horse who has sighted the barn. I just have to keep trotting along on my sore hooves until I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment