Thursday, November 16, 2023

Have a Seat

Inspirational song: Sit Down, John (1776)

Furniture restoration looks so much cooler when it's edited down to a 20 minute video with voice over narration to drown out tool sounds. In person, it's slow, messy, and loud.

I finished spray painting most of the yellow parts today. I cleaned the rest of the adhesive goop off of the last step, scraped off the rust and crud by alternating between aluminum foil and steel wool, and got the first coat of fresh lemongrass yellow paint. The last uncleaned painted part is the bar that wraps around the base of the legs, and I didn't even gain access to it until late this afternoon. It was still attached to the final leg by a completely rusted bolt, and the Mr had to get a special blade for his oscillating saw to cut through it. That was the worst sound imaginable, and I was unprepared when it started.

I also buffed out all the corrosion off that last leg with aluminum foil. It was worse than all the others, so it will be far from perfect when done. But I'm not looking for this to be restored to factory conditions. I just want it to be sturdy, reasonably attractive, and cleanable. It should meet or exceed all my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment