Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Foods

Inspirational song: Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (Carole King)

Whoops, I am supposed to be fasting. When Mr S-P got a spoonful of rocky road ice cream right before bed, I grabbed a spoon and took some too. This was at 10:30, and just then I remembered that my yearly physical is in the morning. I'm not supposed to eat anything this late. Surely it will be okay, if the start of my appointment is at 10. There will still be almost 12 hours of fasting before they'll get around to drawing blood.

I knew I needed something from the grocery store, but by the time I got there this afternoon, I couldn't for the life of me remember what it might have been. I texted home, hoping for a hint. I got suggestions, but I don't think it was what I was seeking. I walked every aisle except pet and baby supplies, and ended up with a full shopping cart and no clue what I had wanted to get. Good thing the digital coupons were valuable. All told I turned a $110+ grocery bill into a $81 final total. I have way more coke and chex than we need, but I saved so much! (I can feel a whole bunch of people rolling their eyes at that.)

The pumpkins in piles outside the store were 50% off. Inside the store, I passed displays of stuffing mixes, green beans, and other traditional November staples. The giant freezer of frozen turkeys has arrived. No clearer sign that the calendar has advanced.

In my thorough search of the store, I noticed something that high school me could have only wished for. I know I wasn't the only one back then hopelessly addicted to Arby's sauce. Never would I have imagined they'd just be selling big bottles of the stuff, for folks to OD on. How long has this been out there, tempting recovering addicts like me to fall off the wagon? Why did it cross my path today? Is it a sign?

No comments:

Post a Comment