Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Magic and Lore

Inspirational song: Here Comes Santa Claus (Gene Autry)

There I was, minding my own business, lumbering through Walmart with no real plan. I was doing okay ignoring the Christmas versions of bagged chocolate candies that replaced the Halloween versions two weeks ago. Instead of looking at them on my right, I was looking left. That's when I saw a couple of goofy t-shirts, and I sent up a prayer for help. Well, actually, I sent a picture of them to my daughter, and said, talk me out of these, knowing full well she couldn't. Needless to say, I am wearing the one on the right (of the photo below), with a pair of Santa jammie pants now. 

I asked my daughter whether we were going to be allowed to wade neck-deep in Santa lore and legend, now that Valerie is of an age to really get it. I worried that she or my son-in-law would dislike the concept, in a "don't lie to children" sort of way. She said no, they both are good with childhood magic. That's all I needed to hear. This time next week, in between baking pies and gluten-free dinner rolls ahead of the holiday, I'm going to start rounding up all the Santa I can fit into a single month. It is ON.

All I went to Walmart for was a single fresh paintbrush. I came out with $78 worth of stuff, some of which I needed, some I didn't. This is proof that I don't need my shopping buddies with me to get myself in over my head (she says, reaching for her new holographic tumbler, pretending it will encourage her to drink more water). I need to find free hobbies. At least ones I've already invested in before now.

No comments:

Post a Comment