Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Airing of Grievances

Inspirational song: Join Together (The Who)

The storm tried hard to ruin my night. The storm and the flu-slash-covid teamed up to do it, but we dueled to a stalemate. Not everyone showed up to dinner, but enough came to make me happy. A very merry Christmas Festivus Hanukkah Yule Saturnalia was had by those present.

During the bulk of the day, the weather was pretty darned nice. Upper 40s to low 50s, hazy, high clouds. It was pretty breezy, but we knew what was blowing in. Between 4 and 4:30 this afternoon, the temperature started dropping precipitously. It went from mild to bitter in a flash. It's probably good it went this fast, as the ground was already frozen when it started to snow. It stuck to the roads right away, but there was no ice layer under the snow to make it too dangerous. By 8:30 or so it was like -4. I haven't checked since, but suffice it to say Saoirse had no interest in hanging around outside after her last trip to pee.

We did some gift exchanging among the friend group tonight. One of our gang stopped by a Boulder toy store, and got a bunch of things for all of us. Another ordered some wonderfully creepy dice bags for us. I brought out my sample selection of the kinds of plants I'm rooting, but only one of the group made a firm selection of which kind he wanted. I wouldn't let anyone take the plants out in the cold, so they will live here at least one more week.

We also exchanged gifts with our housemate J. We got them a selection of books to round out their essential pop culture knowledge (like Frankenstein and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) and a Norfolk Island pine. They got me a plant I have been desperate to get--a string of pearls. I might have let out a sudden shriek of delight when I saw it. They got Mr S-P a gift card to REI, which is perfect for him.

I wanted a bigger crowd to show up, but it seems instead I got exactly the crowd I needed. I had enough food for everyone, and no one left hungry (except maybe Dmitri). Valerie got to run and play and be the star of the show. I declare it to have been a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment