Saturday, December 24, 2022

Lap Dog

Inspirational song: The Weight (The Band)

Met an old friend for breakfast in Boulder this morning. Had a nice time visiting over food and then a wander through McGuckins hardware right next to the restaurant. I am 100% certain that the restaurant did not have a dedicated gluten-free toaster. Don't ask how I know.

Schedules were very fluid today. We ended up not getting the kids, and not needing to do any of the ferrying we normally would. So while the Mr went to his climbing gym, I stayed home and tried to burn off the unrelenting anxiety and quick anger that I blame on the random brush with gluten (and probably a little excess caffeine from too much coffee). I had no patience with animals, especially with the big doofus who was never on the right side of the sliding glass door, or the little jerkface who kept sitting on the back of my chair and whipping me in the back of the head with his tail. When the Mr came home and started watching annoying videos on his phone, I really had to work to keep calm. 

By the end of the evening, when Saoirse was staring at me again, willing the ESP to finally work so I would know what she wanted, I made the hand gestures that told her she was allowed to climb in the chair with me--for the first time since she was a tiny puppy. (Tiny being a relative term.) It took her a while to find the right position, and to stop elbowing me in the belly. Oddly, the whole process, especially once she settled, was very soothing. She was like a giant flokati weighted blanket. I felt tension melt away. I'll need to remember this is an option for me. It is, I suppose, one of the perqs of having a very large service dog. She squished the bad mood right out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment