Monday, December 12, 2022

Penultimate Spa Day

Inspirational song: Breaking Up Is Hard to Do (Neil Sedaka)

It was a sad day in Muddville. I told one of my two regular massage therapists that I intend to cancel my membership in January and take at least a year off. She understood, and our farewell session was one of the best massages I've had in quite a while. I have been keeping the Massage Envy subscription going for something like ten years, but it has become time for some belt-tightening. If you factor in that I always get 90 minute sessions, and tipping is de rigeur, then a year-long hiatus will save me upwards of a thousand dollars. 

I'm taking a hard look at all my recurring charges these days, and dropping as many of them as I can. Oddly, a lot of these places make it hard to find a way to cancel them. For example, I searched all over the mobile version of the Rocky Mountain PBS page, and I found plenty of ways to set up a recurring donation, but not a one to cancel it. Luckily, that one is small, so I suppose I'll wait until my credit card expires next year and maybe it will go away? A year ago I downsized DirecTV into Sling, and last month I downsized that into a Peacock subscription. Waiting to see whether that one is going to stick around. Apple TV is a goner, at least until a new Ted Lasso comes out, and then I'll have to think about it.

The kids worked me over today. I didn't eat before my massage, and I picked them up on the way home from it. The moment I pulled my leftovers out of the microwave, desperate to put the first calorie of the day in my face hole, they went bonkers. Valerie was running around, getting into everything, and Dmitri started fussing as if his life depended on it. He got to eat first, while my reheated pad thai cooled on the floor next to us. Eventually things settled a bit, and we even got to take a nap, all three of us at the same time. Every day the little dude gets more happy sitting up in his rocket car. Today, he started posing like he already knows how to look cool in a convertible. Ow, my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment