Wednesday, December 14, 2022

To Jill

Inspirational song: The 12 Pains of Christmas (Bob Rivers)

We really didn't need all that much. It should have been easy. Friends, it was not.

I picked up the kids at noon, and we thought we would hit two stores and be done quickly. Just go to Kohls to return something purchased off Amazon (a cell phone case that did not fit the new phone), and then to Walmart for a kitchen organization thing plus a couple plant-related items. Sure, it sounds simple. I wandered through Kohls while my daughter stood in the return line for Amazon. There were plenty of kitchen gadgets available, but no big holders for sponges and brushes. (I want a wire basket style one, tall enough to stand up three long brushes and drain three sponges.) I saw a cute Christmas dish towel set with cardinals on it, but then I saw the text from my daughter near the front of the store saying don't buy anything, the lines are ridiculous, so I put it back.

We went through McDonald's on the way to Walmart, and Val devoured a Happy Meal. Kid is entering a growth phase, because I have never seen her eat so much. I chose the Walmart just east of the county line, so that I could drive past the Costco and check its construction progress. I squealed when I saw how far along it is.

The walk around Walmart was so incredibly frustrating. Started looking for dish towels like I had seen at Kohls, and never saw any that were Christmas themed, in any of the seasonal areas. The kitchen aisle had plenty of small sponge racks, with a space for a single brush. It was that, or gigantic wire baskets that would take up too much counter space. I will have to try other stores later. The garden center was stuffed full of gift bags and lights and whatnot, with the few houseplants they had left shoved in a corner. There were a few small terra cotta pots, but zero soil moisture meters or grow lights. I bought a few regular LED bulbs, thinking I could use them instead, and so far I am unhappy with that choice. 

The one thing that went right was buying a turkey for next week's holiday dinner. The prices were reduced, so I could get a pretty hefty one for about 17 bucks. But then when I was at the register, I couldn't get it to scan. The cashier couldn't get the bar code to work either. She had to search on the app for anything that was even close she could scan, which ended up being a different Butterball turkey product, and when it rang up a few dollars less, she kind of shrugged and said Merry Christmas. I told her my holiday gathering thanks her. She said if we do a toast, raise a glass to "Jill." I plan on doing a full Bob Cratchett toast, "To the founder of the feast!" in her honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment