Thursday, December 8, 2022

Up

Inspirational song: It's Your Thing (The Isley Brothers)

It took a full week to get back up to Fort Collins to leave those completed blankets for our volunteer project in the office. My housemate (hereafter to be referred to as J, following a name change) went up with me, as they had an appointment up that way. While I waited for them to finish, I wandered by a Lowe's, in search of supports for my houseplants that want to climb. I want to put them on moss poles, but I couldn't find any. I grabbed a bag of moss, thinking maybe I could create one out of that and a stick of some sort. More on that in a sec. 

I couldn't help it. I saw a clearance rack and I had to go near it. I found a syngonium (arrowhead) and a philodendron birkins, plus ceramic pots, for a grand total of nine dollars. I wasn't walking away from that deal. The syngonium just needed a few yellowing leaves cut off. The philodendron was in horrible condition, but it was the same variety I saw at my local nursery for 30 bucks, so of course I was jumping on it for three and change.

When I picked J back up, we grabbed coffee and went through Home Depot, still trying to find moss poles. No joy there either, but I did find metal support poles. When I got home, I discovered that my clever idea was not going to work. The moss I bought was loose and crumbly, finer than potting soil. It was not going to hold together merely tied around a stick. I'm not even sure it would work with something like chicken wire as a cage to hold it. Maybe window screen. I don't have either of those things, so it can wait.

I finally put some of the plants in the hangers I made, and with the Mr's help, got them up in the bedroom. I can't work above my head (it's a nerve-pinch problem) so he put up some hooks for me. I dropped one of the little clay pots that has starter spider plants for Christmas presents, and broke it. You know this means going back to a garden center to replace it. I'm doomed. Doomed, I tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment