Sunday, December 4, 2022

Look Left

Inspirational song: Six Months in a Leaky Boat (Split Enz)

I would think, after all these years, that I should be pretty good at the whole sleeping thing. Surely I know how. But sure enough, this morning revealed I did it wrong. I had stretched out really well last night before going to bed, relaxing myself enough to just conk out when the lights were off. I don't remember waking all that much during the night. So sitting up early this morning and immediately discovering my neck muscles were very, very angry was a bit of a surprise. Couldn't let it slow me down, to any significant degree. We finally got those plague babies back over here, now that their coughs and runny noses were the only remaining symptoms of whatever bug they caught. Their grandpa has the same thing, so it's not like we were afraid to be around them.

I picked them up just after lunch (despite having trouble checking for oncoming traffic on my left), and we planned a somewhat easy day. Valerie was given free rein to watch movies in bed and to color on the door in chalk. After a few days of being sick, any calories she would accept were good calories, so ice cream and blueberries were considered successes. Dmitri was pretty good about allowing himself to be rocked to sleep and fed generously, but after a while the only entertainment he would accept was being supported to stand. This was not the position I wanted to hold all day, so when it was time for them to go home, I asked Papa to drive them. I needed to sit still with my arms down.

I've been going pretty light on social media, for reasons discussed previously, but I have been checking in and reading a lot of comments lately about the coaching change at my dear CU. We just hired a famous one, and the interwebs have been abuzz waiting for the announcement. I watched the video of Deion Sanders, known as Coach Prime, speaking to the current football players for the first time. At first I wondered why they seemed oddly subdued. It occurred to me as he spoke that a bunch of these kids see the writing on the wall, that those who can't keep up will not be kept. The coach even came out and said, in answer to a question about what the off-season would be like, that his job would be to try to chase off as many players as he could. He only wants to keep those who really want to be there, and who can hack it. I've been mulling over that tough love for the last hour. I don't know where things will go from here, but I am invested in watching to find out. I miss enjoying the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment