Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Eggs

Inspirational song: I Can't Drive 55 (Sammy Hagar)

Traffic on the local speedway that is our street is starting to sound louder. It's the sound of wet streets that are soon to turn slick and dangerous. This is the music that will lull me to sleep, with uncharitable dreams of at least one of those yahoos who drive too fast in front of my house getting into a wreck of their own making.

We moved game night up a night because of the storm and cold air moving in. They are forecasting only about 5 inches of snow, but deeply cold low temperatures, so we chose not to bring the babies out in that weather. We all met next door, those of us who could make it, and played a couple of our favorite games. The babies faced off, and we learned Dmitri is a little scared of sweet old Jasper.

Today was Mr S-P's birthday. Because we missed so many celebrations, I demanded that we meet in person, so I could start providing birthday cakes for those who were skipped lately. I chose the traditional Smith birthday cake, and made an angel food cake from scratch. I texted the group, and told them they should recognize how much I love them all because I was willing to use nine whole eggs for them, in this era of scarcity. (It's better now, right?) I just wish my oven had been up to the moment. I thought it had heated sufficiently to bake the cake in the allotted time. But when I took it out and inverted it, it totally collapsed. Well, poop. I put it back in the oven for another 15 minutes, but it never even pretended to rise again. That's okay. Dense angel food with homemade lemon curd topping (to use up the yolks) is still better than no cake at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment