Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Little Loves

Inspirational song: My Funny Valentine (Chet Baker)

Valentines Day was never that big a deal around here. Yes, we exchanged gifts on several occasions, usually had a nice dinner or at least an abundance of chocolate, and you know. The other stuff. But it wasn't a high pressure holiday. Nice, but not a deal-breaker. If anything, it was about the time we would cave in and buy our first bare-root roses of the season, because neither of us has a lick of sense when we set foot in a stocked garden center.

But this year... This year I have an almost-three year old little girl who loves hearts. It's her favorite shape, and ever since she was old enough to understand that shapes have patterns, she has asked her mother and me to draw them for her before any other. I intended on going to get her a little heart-shaped stuffy as a gift, just a goofy little thing from Walmart. I never managed to acquire one, and by the time it became the 14th, I thought really, will she know if I got one day of or day after on 70% off clearance? 

Then we completely ran out of dog and cat food, other than cat crunchies, and had to make a Costco and Petco run. I told Mr S-P I wanted to give something to that sweet little girl, and as proof of how much she has her grandpa's heart in her dainty hands, he saw flowers when we first walked in Costco, and said those--let's get those. They were tulip bulbs blooming in a hydroponics vase. Of course I agreed. Got some heart-shaped chocolates while we were at it.

We couldn't spend much time with the babies. We had too much to do at home, starting with feeding those starving cats and dogs. But we were there long enough to get hugs and kisses, and more than anything giggles. I don't think any version of grown-up Valentines Day could have prepared me for how much better it is as grandparents and little kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment