Sunday, February 26, 2023

Origin Story

Inspirational song: Bones (Imagine Dragons)

Ah, this babysitting day went much better than yesterday, even if I did end up sore and broken-feeling by the end of it. For my own sake, I dug out the old bottle of the first antidepressants I got for fibro pain, the lowest available dose and not my current level. But it was at least something, while I wait for my refills in the proper dosage to arrive, and it might just have made today possible. 

We started the morning shopping at big box hardware stores, for chainsaw oil and a few other things. Even though I looked everything over thoroughly, I only came away with one tiny plant, a kalanchoe flapjacks that I've been wanting for several months now. I can't wait for the weather to warm up enough to put some of these succulents outside on the porch for the season. This being Colorado, I have at minimum 9 or 10 weeks to go.

Once the kids got here, we were off to the races. They were in a pretty good mood, and we had our wits about us more than the last couple days. Yesterday we tried to show them How to Train Your Dragon, but only part two was available to stream. Today I went downstairs to our old DVD storage units, and found that we owned the blu-ray of the original movie. We set them up to watch, and for once, Valerie was invested from the start. I had to stay pretty close to keep Dmitri entertained, but even that wasn't so hard this time.

Once the movie was over, we sort of hung out on the bed and let the kids be silly. Dmitri is just old enough that he is figuring out that when he makes a noise and we imitate it back, it is a sort of active communication. The two kids had a whole conversation with each other in growly noises, and it was the most hilarious thing I could imagine. We really aren't that far away from them speaking real words and developing complex sibling jokes, are we? Things they will have just for themselves for the rest of their lives, and we will get to witness the birth of those memories. We are so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment