Friday, February 17, 2023

Happy Faces

Inspirational song: Ring My Bell (Anita Ward)

I got the best of all possible worlds today. I encountered happy people, animals, and plants throughout the day. Who could ask for more?

I ran errands this morning, driving around to the big three hardware stores, taking pictures of paint prices and gathering extra paint chips, only to circle back to the color I had settled on before from the store I had previously chosen. I was temporarily distracted by an Ace Hardware sale, until I re-read it and realized it wasn't BOGO, or even buy one get one half off. It was buy two gallons and get one free. That's all well and good, but my bedroom is not so big that I would need three gallons. I'd like to repaint the kitchen, to get rid of the yellow I fell out of love with years ago, but am I ready to do both now? Probably not.

I picked up the grandkids on my way back from paint scouting. When I pulled up, the kids brought the babies out to the car. I never even got my seat belt off. I was informed that Dmitri was in a ridiculously good mood, and darned if he didn't keep it nearly the entire time he was with me. Valerie was charming and chatty the whole time too. I missed having them while everyone was sick, so it was nice getting back into the routine.

I got a message from my mother with a photo I requested. I failed to verify if it was approved for release, but since that is what I specifically asked for, I'm going to take the risk and share it here. I told her to get me a photo with the end-of-cancer-treatment bell, and she delivered. She posted a bell ringing video too, but those don't translate to this blog well. She completed a very long radiation series today, more than I had to go through with both of my breast cancers combined, if I am not mistaken. Now she is cooked and she just has to simmer, and, I don't know, thicken upon standing? Is that taking the metaphor too far? I hope her skin starts treating her better, as the burn wears off. For now, I'm just happy she made it through the tough parts.

For the record, I did not buy any new plants today, even though I looked them over at all three stores. When I was chatting with the Mr, I noticed something that startled and amazed me. The aglaonema that has stuck it out through the worst of my abuse and neglect, the one I ignored for years, is doing so well now that I'm paying attention to it, it has actually flowered! I didn't even know they did that! It put out a tiny, creamy white flower that resembles a peace lily or anthurium bloom. This gives me hope that I'm finally getting good at this house plant stuff, equal to where I'm going with the outdoor gardening these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment