Thursday, February 16, 2023

Extra Gravity

Inspirational song: Free Fallin' (Tom Petty)

There are a few spatial anomalies in my house, places where gravity is extra strong. One such spot is in the center of my kitchen, where it flips Athena over on her back frequently. Lucky for us all, she manages to fight the pull of gravity and restore her balance just before one of us can lay a hand on her delightfully fluffy tummy. There is another gravity-anomaly between my pillow and bedside table, although I have not yet tested whether that one shifted when the room was rearranged.

The worst super-gravity spot in the house surrounds my recliner. Everything hits the floor there sooner or later. There is a reason that my iPad has a shattered screen, and the glass protector I put over the top to keep using it also has a few cracks in it. Today, I knew better than to stand back when I saw my daughter balanced a drink tray from McDonald's on the seat of my recliner, but stand back I did. The lid didn't pop off my Coke when it inevitably hit the carpet, but some did spill out the straw hole. We grabbed some microfiber cloths and dabbed it up right away, and I promised myself I'd move up shampooing the carpet on the priority list.

A little later, I saw Valerie was being cute and spreading a blanket over her legs on the couch, getting comfortable. I zoomed my camera to take a picture, and that's when I noticed my daughter had left her tea sitting on the edge of the couch when she stood up. I took the photo, and before I could put down my phone, splash! Gravity struck again. This time the lid came off and the whole drink poured on the rug. And this time I went and grabbed the carpet shampooer.

By the third time a container of liquid tipped over this afternoon, I was just so happy that it was plain water (in my plant watering can), that I just shrugged and moved on with my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment