Friday, June 30, 2023

Now More Than Ever

Inspirational song: Pride (In the Name of Love) (U2)

Not really sure what is going to come out of me here. I'm sore and wiped-out tired, sitting in my car while the rest of my group continues to walk around Pride Fest. It was great, but after two hours plus on my feet, I couldn't do it anymore. I had to find a place I could sit and stay. From here I can hear speeches and music from the main stage. I can't peruse the booths anymore, but I think I picked up all the stickers, flags, and pins I can carry. I never found anyone selling a piece of jewelry in the form I wanted, so it is just as well.

I have so many big feelings about this issue, but very few ideas how to express them. Pride should be a vestigial celebration, yet another excuse to have a fun party. Instead it remains necessary for people to reclaim the right to live authentically. How is it that in this day and age, people are still trying to shame and persecute whole segments of the population for merely being their true selves? Wild accusations get thrown around by folks who don't seem to turn a critical eye on themselves, particularly when it comes to the idea of harming young people. Love and acceptance of the whole person go a lot farther in harm reduction than anger and threats.

Yeah, I let myself get overly tired. None of my thoughts are coming out clearly. Maybe I should have just bought the "drag is not a crime" t-shirt, taken a selfie in it, and stopped at that point. 

Kids had a blast running around waving flags and getting stickers and temp tattoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment