Saturday, January 13, 2024

Bog Standard Kids

Inspirational song: Alfie (Dionne Warwick)

The bitter cold is well and truly here. It was still so cold at noon, I was worried just watching the kids walk from the car to the porch that it could hurt them. Yes, I spent two long winters in North Dakota. I know this isn't as bad as that. But these are just little kids. I'm allowed to want to protect them.

As babysitting days go, this one was relatively smooth. No major issues. Nobody fell or pinched fingers or had a major head bonk. None of the typical shenanigans. When it was lunchtime, everyone ate. When dessert came out (the last of Wednesday's chocolate cream pie), they celebrated. After letting them play out that burst of sugar energy, I took Dmitri back to chill out and watch Bluey until he fell asleep. They were sweet, and as normal as two happy kids can be.

My only disappointment of the day was later, when I was making myself a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner. I was standing by the stove, watching cheese melt, when Alfred jumped up on the stove to look at my sandwich too. I said, "Hey! What are you doing? Why are you here? What's it all about... Alfie?" And then I scooped him up and put him back on the floor. I looked at my husband, and saw that he was completely unfazed by what I'd said. I asked, "Did that really go over your head?" He had no idea that I was quoting a song, and just blinked and shook his head when I played a YouTube version of Alfie. I feel so old and dorky now.

No comments:

Post a Comment