Saturday, January 20, 2024

Dessicated Soil

Inspirational song: Back on the Chain Gang (The Pretenders)

With how busy the holidays were around here, it seems like ages since I did major plant chores. I repotted three of my existing plants, and put all three of the new alocasia plugs into one pot this afternoon. It had been so long since I had done anything like that, the soil mix in my sealed plastic bins had dried out so much as to be hydrophobic. I soaked everything, and the pots were still dry halfway down under the surface. In anticipation of eventually finding the plant I was looking for yesterday, I washed fertilizer salts off a wide terracotta pot and drenched the soil in it. I might go ahead and assemble a wire cage for a moss pole to use once I find a manjula pothos. Not sure whether I will fill it with sphagnum moss yet, or at least soak some so it is ready to go.

I was told they do get shipments of manjula at Home Depot, and to check back regularly for it. At the same time, I have been advised that I need to take Saoirse on regular walks through stores like Home Depot to get her re-acclimated to public spaces. It looks like she and I will be regular lurkers down there in the upcoming weeks. 

That's about all I have tonight. Fewer potbound plants, and a worn out grandma. I remembered to get a few pictures before the grow lights on timers shut off.

No comments:

Post a Comment