Tuesday, January 9, 2024

There and Back Again

Inspirational song: On the Road Again (Willie Nelson)

I watched the sun rise (right in my face) this morning as we drove out to Aurora, a southeast suburb of Denver. I watched the sun set, again right in my eyes, as I drove back from the Denver Airport this evening. Sadly, these did not bookend a single trip, but two separate events. I was on the road far too much today.

I realized Saturday that my military ID was about to expire on Sunday. I need that thing on a regular basis, even this many years into his retirement, so I jumped online and took the first available appointment to renew it. That appointment was for 0840 this morning, at the naval reserve portion of Buckley air force slash space force base. (Don't judge me for my approximation--I don't know whether Buckley is officially an AFB or SFB or JB. I only learned about the navy and marine parts this morning.) We had to be on the road by 0630 to ensure we got there on time for my appointment, which meant waking at 0545. That is smack in the middle of the most restful, productive sleep hours I get, so I'm dragging my tail now. But the ID is cool. Way fancier than all the dependent IDs I had for the last almost-3 decades. The photo is even in color now.

We came back to town, and I tried to nap before Rotary. I got a few minutes of sleep, but not nearly enough for me to make any sense when I tried to talk to all my friends. God knows what I said in my delirium. I left the meeting and headed straight back to the east side of Denver, to pick up our housemate from the airport. We tried to keep up an active conversation the whole way, so that I would remain alert enough to drive. That was just unsustainable, because we were both so tired. I was so happy to finally be on my block, but I had to sit and wait for something like 20 cars to pass in either direction before I could properly back into my driveway and plug in the car. Every second I had to wait made me more desperate. 

Immediately upon arrival, I went straight back and changed out of street clothes, and collapsed into my chair. I was away all day, which meant my lap buddy Alfred has been glued to me since I sat down, making me feel guilty for his loneliness. What was I thinking, being gone so long?

No comments:

Post a Comment