Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Ask Me About

Inspirational song: I Will Always Love You (Dolly Parton)

At the large family Thanksgiving we had in Boulder in 2019, my daughter and her cousin both announced pregnancies. It was my kid's first, the cousin's second. As we all mingled and shared congratulations all around, my brother-in-law, the pregnant cousin's father, came up to me to tell me how much I was going to love being a grandparent. I remember him saying, "you love your kids, but you fall in love with your grandkids." I nodded, thinking yeah, but I really love my kids. How different could this be? Oh. A year and a half later, all I can say is I get it now. I think of his prediction almost every time my baby comes to visit. I get to fall in love with her fresh every time I look at her, whether it is the moment we first catch sight of each other on a given day, or as we are saying goodbye for now. I used to laugh at those "ask me about my grandkids" bumper stickers. Now maybe I oughta get one.

I mean, really, you guys. Behold the beauty:

No comments:

Post a Comment