Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Standing Tall

Inspirational song: Reap the Wild Wind (Ultravox)

I shouldn't have passed up the chance to see my girls this afternoon. If I'd spoken up sooner, or gotten a little more motivated later, I probably could have seen them. I got fair warning that we may be spending more time babysitting again soon, so it's not like today was my only chance. It's just that we are getting so close to the first real steps, without holding on, and I like my odds of being able to witness it in person. I also hope to be holding my phone, with the camera setting on video at that moment, but that might be pressing my luck.

We are seeing unsupported standing frequently now. The last time baby was here, we were standing by the back door, watching Saoirse chase squirrels, and I looked down and she was just standing with her hands at her sides for more than ten seconds. When the big wet snowstorm came through Monday, her parents took her outside to see it. They said she bent over to touch the snow, and was so offended by it, she noped herself back into standing out in the middle of the yard.

Tonight we were treated to a video of her standing in the middle of the living room floor, playing with an unopened chewing gum package. Real walking must be imminent. I wonder how many milliseconds will pass between me celebrating the first steps and lamenting the end of the days when I could actually catch her and keep her out of trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment