Sunday, April 18, 2021

Social Life

Inspirational song: Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner (Warren Zevon)

In the Before Times, when everything was in-person (meetings, lunches, concerts, parties...), I was a champ at overloading my schedule. I can't count how many times I would look at my week and say out loud to myself, "if I can just make it through the next few days, then I can rest." But it never worked that way. I would constantly add events, eliminating my recovery days. Not all were occasions for dread. It was often fun. It was just tiring, physically and emotionally. The early part of the pandemic was such a nice break from overextended social schedules. Now that half of all adults are vaccinated, and three-quarters or more of us are sick of being locked away from public gatherings, the opportunities for staying home and letting the world pass us by are dwindling. I have caught myself saying that phrase multiple times this month. "I just have to get through this test, vet visit, lunch meeting, and handful of emails..." But I know more crap will just appear at the conclusion of the current round of obligations. It always does.

I wish I could have stayed home and let my body decide how it feels about yesterday's car accident. It wasn't a bad wreck, but it was enough of a jolt to make my soft tissues feel abused. I should have sat in the hot tub and stretched. Instead, I had two short baby visits (keeping her while her parents cared for a friend's cat), Saoirse school, and dinner and a movie with the folks next door. I'm more sore now than I was after we got home last night. I told myself I'd sleep late in the morning tomorrow, but can I really count on that?

It might have cut short my rest and recovery, but playing with the baby was every bit as much fun as always. When she was here alone with me, we played chase around the house. She mostly followed me while I walked around doing everyday stuff, and then I followed her to make sure she didn't get into stuff that might be dangerous. She was louder and clearer in her vocalizations, making the funniest sounds while she crawled. I wish I knew what game was happening in her mind. We are so close to having recognizable conversations with her. She is paying much better attention to the world around her. At the park, she interacted with a little girl who was just over 2, and all of us sized the other girl up, picturing Valerie and what she will be able to do in just over a year. Me, I was hoping that little girl comes back to the park often, so she and Val can grow up as friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment