Saturday, April 3, 2021

Improvements

Inspirational song: North Country Girl (Pete Townshend)

While the cleaning videos, of cars and carpets, are still dear to my heart, I have a new YouTube obsession. For a few weeks I have been watching women discuss their routines and product preferences for the "curly girl method." As my hair has grown back in post-chemo, it has done all kinds of wild things, some of which approached actual curling. More often it just looked like cowlicks and frizz. I decided to take control of the direction it was going, and made a few investments, both with money and time. I even replaced my hair dryer with a new one that came with a huge diffuser. This morning I put it to the test. I followed the steps to apply product to my hair evenly and thoroughly, I squished and scrunched to create curl clumps, and then I diffused until my arms gave out (which is possibly why I still feel like there is a knife wedged in my upper spine). Between the wild curls and red color, I felt like Merida from the animated movie Brave. This is a whole new experience for me, and I'm still coming to terms with it being real. No perm, no heat damage. Just soft, flowing curls. As the kids said to me, it's a nice trade for losing it all to chemo almost two years ago. I agree.

My grandbaby was here today. Her primary focus this time was speed. She has become the fastest crawler in all of Colorado. Only a few times did she act like she wanted to walk on her feet (supported), but crawling and climbing are her favorite things now. Top five, anyway, along with grabbing glasses off of faces, making noise on the piano, and putting her hands on every screen she can touch.

She is zooming up on eleven months old, and this just keeps getting better. I am not tired of it yet. Each day is a gift. Even a bad, tiring day with the Grump is better than any day without her.



No comments:

Post a Comment