Sunday, April 25, 2021

Womanhood

Inspirational song: Sunrise Sunset (Fiddler on the Roof)

Baby girl is a woman now. We showed up at Petsmart for the last advanced dog class, and when I looked at Saoirse from behind, I realized that she has gone into heat. I thought she was heading that way at the end of the last class, but this time the signs are unmistakable. I had to carry a paper towel in my pocket to clean up the floor every time she had to do a sit command. I wonder whether this explains her behavior issues over the last week. (She ate one each of the pairs of shoes the Mr had left piled by the front door.) It definitely explains who dripped blood on the kitchen floor yesterday. 

Neither of us have dealt with a dog in heat before. Several of the cats have gone through it over the years, right before their spay surgeries. The other two female dogs we have had came to us already spayed. I told the Mr that Saoirse is to stay in the house until she is in the clear, not hang out in the back yard unsupervised. He looked at me quizzically, and I swore that sneaky dogs would jump our privacy fence to get her. He seemed skeptical, but didn't argue. This evening, while we were sitting in the living room, the first gentleman caller came trotting down the sidewalk. Mr S-P went out to check him out for a collar, but he was a skittish stray who ran off. I hope he believes me now.

The ticking of my puppy's biological clock started at the worst time. She has an appointment to be spayed on Tuesday. I don't know whether they can go through with her surgery until this is over, one to two weeks from now. There is a lot of increased blood flow in that part of her, so it depends on the surgeon and how they approach the procedure. I will call first thing in the morning and get advice. It's possible we will have to entertain her strictly inside the house until her tingly bits settle down. I'm sure that will be a super easy and calm couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment