Thursday, April 22, 2021

Lumps and Bumps

Inspirational song: I Don't Know What You've Got, But It's Got Me (Little Richard)

Pretty sure everything was better before I knew the specifics. I had a follow-up ultrasound on my thyroid this Monday. It was intended as routine monitoring, as directed after the nodules were discovered a year and a half ago. The doctor's assistant called me the next day to say she wanted me to go ahead and consult with the ENT again. Although the three lumps from last year were essentially unchanged (I don't have last year's report handy to be sure), there was a new one. I didn't know how concerned I should be, because I didn't get any more details than that. They said they would submit a referral for the ENT, and I let the assistant go about her business. 

But ever since the ultrasound, I've been tender. The tech pushed really hard with the wand, and I was clenched up in pain for the whole five or six minutes of the scan. (Didn't say anything about it. I doubt she knew she was being literally heavy-handed.) Swallowing hurts. Looking down hurts. I feel like there are giant rocks in my throat. But I have a funny feeling this is mostly in my head. None of this was so distressing before I started paying attention to it. I mean, yeah, I felt pressure there before, just not to the point I couldn't tune it out. 

I got the text allowing me to read the report this afternoon. The smaller nodules from last year are still under a centimeter in length. I don't remember whether there was a discussion about their vascularity on the last report. The new nodule is enthusiastic. Zero to nine millimeters in a year seems like rapid growth. Its mere existence doesn't set off any alarms though. Other than popping up quickly, it sounded pretty unremarkable. Still, I have to jump through the hoops to let the ENT tell me to wait another year. 

I wonder what the thresholds for action are. Total number of nodules, total volume of displacement, or one achieving a minimum length and width? I guess as long as I can still swallow my daily pills, it's not worth getting worked up over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment