Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Cutthroat

Inspirational song: Let's Go (The Cars)

We are off to the races. I hadn't completely finished all the paperwork to get my friend's rental property listed when the realtor for the tenant and his son was texting and calling and sending over his offer. I mean, I tried to slow him down a little, letting him know we were only filling out the seller's property disclosure form this evening when my friend got off work. But these folks are anxious to get the place locked in, even though we promised that we were not putting it on the MLS unless the long-term renters weren't able to put this deal together. I am guessing that the son had already done some house-hunting, and knew how cutthroat this market is. Places are going under contract in a week or less, with multiple offers, and usually going full price or over (sometimes tens of thousands over). Inventory is tight. For example, I ran a search that covered nearly the whole town, for three bedroom houses between $350,000 and $475,000. No other qualifiers. There was exactly ONE active listing. Everything else was under contract, and there were fewer than two dozen of those. These guys came in at full asking price, and swore they would go easy on us at inspection, not nit-picking like the buyers of our condo did in February. I still have to counter it, not for major deal breakers, but because there were just a couple important items left out. Just little omissions, but they were necessary.

I can't imagine how overwhelmed I would be if we had gone on the market in the usual way. I probably would have been dumb enough to do an open house, because I actually like them, and it would have been, as they would say in the Bridgerton world, a crush. The wildest thing is, the whole country seems to be experiencing this mayhem. My seller is moving her investments to a different state (as a 1031 exchange), and the new state is just as bad. When I ran the comps for houses that have already closed, several had added into the broker remarks "No more showings! Multiple offers received. Bring your best by [x date]!" I wonder how long this particular boom (bubble?) will last.

I really wanted to steal a photo for tonight, but although I have an online acquaintance with the photographer, she and I don't have that sort of familiarity yet. The photo was of Saoirse's sister Seven. There is an online tradition of taking "tongue out Tuesday" pet pictures, and this fit that in the most delightful way. I guess I will have to chase down Saoirse and use her as my substitute.

(After I told her "Saoirse! Camera!" versus how I found her at midnight, by the front door.)


No comments:

Post a Comment