Thursday, April 29, 2021

Heartbreak

Inspirational song: Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Judy Garland)

This is a somber post. I have sad news to impart. Saoirse's siblings have been getting neutered over the last week, and this morning it was her twin brother Geordi's turn. He had a reaction to the medication administered during surgery, and did not survive. My heart is shattered for the puppies and the dear humans who love them down at the ranch. Geordi was the only other one who looked just like their papa Appa, as Saoirse does. Even with mostly grown Saoirse barking wildly at the whole gang (from her side of then fence) when we visited the ranch two weeks ago, Geordi was a sweet soul and he didn't let Saoirse bait him. Many of the Unicorns have commented on their Twitter tribute to Geordi that he was a special good boy, and one or two admitted he was their favorite. 

I have to confess that it makes me a little nervous about my own baby too. I don't know whether it's because she looks just like him, but now my anxiety over her own spay surgery, postponed to May 11, has increased. When we saw the vet last week, we talked about how Saoirse hates her heartworm prevention pill, and were there other options. She said she can't take ivermectin because she is half Aussie Shepherd, and they react dangerously badly to it. I've let myself conflate the one medication sensitivity to the other, and now I'm just scared. Until she is home and healing in two weeks, I will remain on edge about it.

I wanted to spend tonight talking about the grandbaby again. I watched her for a couple of hours today while her parents went to Lowe's and started some work in the yard. I'll still share a photo or two, but my heart is elsewhere for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment