Thursday, September 15, 2022

Bedtime

Inspirational song: Mockingbird (Carly Simon and James Taylor)

That child will not sleep. I picked her up at naptime, and brought her here. We watched movies and were quiet, but no actual napping happened. We had a calming lavender bubble bath, and put on jammies, and rather than take her home to mommy (who still has 10 minutes left of work as I write), I asked to keep the baby overnight. I figured skipping nap, she would probably get a little fussy (or have a complete meltdown, who knows), and be noisy while mommy is working her phone counseling job in the next room. Putting her to bed here seemed a safer bet. I tried watching a little football, thinking maybe it would bore her to sleep. Nope. Then we put on YouTube, and watched her favorite dancing video (Cab Calloway and the Nicholas Brothers). The things that autoplayed after annoyed her, and she started walking around. Next I tried ambiance videos, and I'm still in bed, mellowing out to a digitally animated crackling fire and rain, while the child is outside with Papa looking for the moon. I'm feeling utterly defeated by a toddler.

No comments:

Post a Comment