Thursday, September 22, 2022

Do You Remember

Inspirational song: Kayleigh (Marillion)

This visit has been absolutely terrific, but my energy bill is starting to come due. I'm not talking about money. I'm talking about the enormous nap I needed to take this afternoon. I've been go-go-go for too many days in a row. I slept hard last night and barely got up in time to make it to my appointment with the rheumatologist in Northglenn. As it was, I was five minutes late. By the time I got home, I stumbled inside and was back asleep within the hour. I'm not really sure how I managed to steer the car the right way.

We had another simple evening of home cooking and visiting. Mostly it was me doing the cooking (my turn to provide) and everyone else hanging out and cuddling babies. The conversation was lively and the food was good. I specifically asked my dad what he remembers of my maternal grandfather, the one I based my character on for one of our role-playing games. We learned some really cool things I had no idea about, like how he once rigged up a proto-weed trimmer with a washing machine motor and coat hanger wire, years before string trimmers were on the market. Man, if only grandpa had patented and sold the idea. I could have been an heiress. 

I'd love to repeat more of what I learned, but my energy budget just ran out. I'm lying down, about seven feet away from where the box of my nighttime pills is sitting, wondering how the heck I'm gonna get them in my hands or mouth. Tomorrow will be a trip up to the mountains, to see how much early fall color we can find. Thank goodness it's mostly just sitting in a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment