Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Florida Contingent

Inspirational song: Deacon Blues (Steely Dan)

So what was the big rush to get so much stuff sorted and cleaned this week? We have company! My dad and stepmom are here visiting for the first time in years. My daughter and I get to show off our homes and families (human and otherwise), and this is the first time my parents have gotten to meet Dmitri. So far, he has been cute and cuddly, and he smiled at my dad right away. Valerie was shy at first, even though she spent a week with her great-grandparents when we all went down last Thanksgiving. She eventually warmed up, and started chattering and hugging, and all was right with the world. 

We spent some time this afternoon just catching up outside their RV, and then we went to dinner at one of my top restaurants, where I can actually get gluten-free fried chicken (Post, which is fabulous). So far this visit is off to a great start. Tomorrow we go to another of our favorite establishments, Lucile's for a delightful creole-style breakfast. Other than a trip up to Rocky Mountain National Park later in the week, most of this trip is unplanned and free-form. We will drive around a bit tomorrow, to show them around town (and show off my beloved car a little more), and mostly just chill out and visit. Chill being the operative word, since it is supposed to be cool and rainy the next couple days. I hope they brought sweaters and jackets.

I didn't finish every single detail around the house, but it is close enough that I won't be totally embarrassed. The problem is, I ended up piling up a bunch of things that need to be put away in my bedroom, including on the bed. I'm so tired I can barely stand up out of my chair. How am I going to clear my bed enough to fall into it?

No comments:

Post a Comment