Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Layover

Inspirational song: In a Big Country (Big Country)

You know what was really awesome in the 20th century, that I hardly ever hear about anymore? Layover visits. What I mean specifically by that, are long (2 hour plus) layovers where it makes sense for people to drive out to the airport where the friend/relative is changing planes, to sit and talk for a while. With long security lines, no non-ticketed individuals on the concourses, and ludicrous parking fees, it is harder to justify the trip to see someone for an hour, especially when the airport is more than an hour away, as it is for us. I feel like we used to do this a lot in the past, when air travel was much more civilized than it feels now. I don't think I've done this in decades. Until now.

I got a call early this morning, from my daughter who was on her way to New Orleans for a bachelorette trip. She messed up and arrived late for her direct flight, and the make-up flight routed her through Denver. She wanted to meet for lunch. There are not many people I would trek down to DIA to see, but she is right there at the top of that short list. I roped in her sister and the kids, and we drove down to visit.

We had a luxurious several days visit with her back in July, so we didn't have too much catching up to do. We just sat and talked and watched Valerie destroy a set of magic markers that auntie let her play with. When daughter #1 saw Dmitri last, he was a brand-new wrinkly bean. This time, he was seven weeks old, and starting to look like a recognizable member of the family. In fact, as soon as she picked him up, my daughter said wow, he looks like dad. (Her father, not his) It is true, though. We all noticed it right away.

We are entering a period where her schedule won't allow many trips out to see us during holidays, so it was extra special to get to see her on short notice like this. I just have to hope I can make it out to L.A. to see her once in a while during that time. It's my turn to make the trip. Maybe during the winter, so it's bearable for me out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment