Thursday, September 29, 2022

Travel Day

Inspirational song: I'm Tired (Blazing Saddles)

South Dakota ahoy! I have arrived, for a girls weekend. I mean, my buddy's husband can hang around as much as he likes, but this is about my friend who I have missed bunches. 

Today was mostly swallowed up by the drive. I know it was only like six hours, but to a rusty old woman like myself, that was a long time to sit still and steer a car. I didn't actually pack until this morning, and I had to wrassle the car charger loose from the ludicrous amounts of junk the Mr has piled between the plug and the garage door (in the space I can only dream of parking), but eventually I made it out on the road. This is the Space Dolphin's first road trip, and it did really well. I think it would have made it door to door on just the charge plus a full gas tank, if I hadn't needed a stop myself before I made it to Rapid City.

I didn't take many photos, other than one of wide open spaces, and a couple while wondering why the hell a cop had stopped traffic for so long in Guernsey (super wide load eventually came across the bridge, painted in what looked suspiciously like army green). My old buddy Hercules flopped down on the guest bed when I got here, proving that cats have a very long memory.

These folks are really just extended family, not by blood but choice. We immediately settled back into a casual chatter, just like when I used to come stay with them every trip back to Colorado before we moved back. They understood that I kind of needed to unwind after a long drive, and didn't freak out when my mind wandered a bit while I reset over dinner. In the days ahead, I get to look forward to a few touristy things (I have never seen Rushmore, so I want to now), a high school football game (younger kid is in the marching band--I'm so proud!), and a dressage exhibition (older kid's first show). This is going to be awesome. And of course, the best part will be just chilling with my BFF.

(Is that a buffalo...or a flea? Depends on if you read it facing left or right.)

No comments:

Post a Comment