Monday, September 19, 2022

So Close

Inspirational song: My Eyes Adored You (Frankie Valli)

Wow, this turned into a long day. I kind of expected it would, but this was more than I bargained for. There is not a single muscle, tendon, joint, or heck, probably some organs too, that doesn't hurt. I have been working for nine and a half months to thin out the load this house has to carry, and this week I'm putting it to the test. I cleared out the debris piles on the dining room table, kitchen peninsula, and side table that hadn't shown its surface in years. I have been mopping and wiping and even cleaning crevices with the steam machine all evening. I have hope that I can actually fit in my home again. It added an extra layer of difficulty to give up my craft-slash-dressing room to a long term houseguest, but I am slowly working through everything that had to come out of the spare room. Things are getting sorted and refiled, and any time it's possible, donated or tossed. There is still much to do, but I can honestly see the progress now.

I had Valerie all morning. She was barely here ten minutes, and she vanished. I came back to the bedroom, to find her in the center of my bed, reclined on a pillow, drinking juice and waiting for me to put on a movie. Well, of course I did it. She can't get enough of Tangled right now, and I'm wondering whether it's because it's the only one of her big four with a well-developed love story. I remember getting into prince and princess romance stories when I was a preschooler (see: Tales From Muppetland--the Frog Prince). Whatever it is that appeals to her, I'm more than happy to let her indulge in things that entertain her. We also let her explore her artistic side. Let's just say there are a whole lot of chalk and pencil marks around my house, yet to be removed. At least it comes off easily.

Tomorrow I have to keep going. This place is so close to acceptable, but there is still a lot to finish. Plus, there are a lot of things that I just will not get to, and I've made peace with that. The worst stuff is on the outside, thus it is mostly not in my power to change. One step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment