Saturday, September 10, 2022

How About That Weather

Inspirational song: It's All Over Now (The Rolling Stones)

Good lord, today was beautiful. Cold and wet in the morning, overcast and cool all day. It's not everyone's groove, but boy, it sure is mine. The temps never got out of the mid-50s, so I put on a burgundy cotton rib knit sweater and overalls, and went outside to pay attention to my front yard. The heat wave is officially over, in northern Colorado. Good riddance.

There are still piles of rock, fill dirt, and mulch everywhere, as the multi-year project to transform the front only occasionally sees its number rise in the priority rotation. Our neighbor T refers to it as "the southern front," in World War I trench warfare terms. He's not wrong. The least I could do on a gorgeous day like today was get out and pull some weeds and pick up debris, and make it nicer for him and the mailman to traverse. (It is rather inconvenient to live a few blocks from a street with the largest concentration of fast food restaurants and liquor stores in town. What comes over people, throwing crap out of windows or dropping wrappers as they walk?) My daughter came over to help, and we cleared out piles of plant matter for the compost bin, and straightened up the front porch. There is still significant artwork on my concrete, by the budding sidewalk chalk artist in the family, but I'm fine leaving that for now. It doesn't affect entry or egress from the house. I tried to rip out the weeds from the front beds, especially the startlingly invasive bee balm. I created a tiny bit of air around the things I want to keep, and uncovered a small peony bush that I had forgotten existed under all the bee balm. The weather is supposed to be seasonal from here on out, so I ought to be able to gain more ground out there, pun intended.

Baby boy went home when mommy left, but baby girl stayed here and watched movies and took a nap. I've noticed when we play movies she doesn't know well (today: Tangled), she tips over about halfway through and falls soundly asleep. She didn't seem to mind that I never turned the heat on in the house. It was pleasantly chilly in the bedroom, and she snuggled under a fluffy fleece blanket while she napped. At one point, I heard a commotion coming from the hallway, and a self-satisfied voice saying, "Stole gramma's shoes," over and over. I couldn't see around my chair, so I popped the camera over the top to surveil the hallway. Sure enough. Tiny girl, big shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment