Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Big Kid Now

Inspirational song: Gloria (U2)

What a day! I can't figure out how so much got packed in one single rotation of the earth. Unfortunately, I can feel it all with each spasm of my back, but that will soon be remedied by a muscle relaxer and taking my tired butt to bed. 

This morning was my quarterly trip to Boulder for botox for migraine. This is always such a joyous doctor visit. The neurologist is one of the sweetest dudes ever, and we are always smiling and happy, even when he is jabbing all along my hairline and neck with a hypodermic needle. 

On my way back home from that, I stopped at Lowe's, looking for a laundry drying rack. Among my cascade of appliance failures, in the last month our dryer has decided not to heat up anymore. We are just too busy to deal with it right now, so I figured using a drying rack and then tumbling crispy dry clothes a little to soften them will be acceptable. Lowe's didn't have the rack, but naturally while there, I looked at plants. I grabbed a pretty golden coreopsis for a mixed pot I'm making with bright red gerbera daisies and multi-orange lantana. I went inside and slowly studied all the houseplants, as is my habit. I'm always looking for a few magical unicorns that I never really believe will turn up. As it happens, I found not one but two unicorns! I was almost out of the plant section when my eye was caught by some small philodendron pink princesses. I had heard some stores were getting them, but I didn't think mine ever would. I picked one up and nearly screamed when I saw the price. A year ago these were going for $75-250, depending on size. These four-inch pots were priced at $8.48. Then I looked up and saw a velvety heart-shaped leaf. I muttered under my breath "micans?" No. It was the philodendron I have been most obsessed with since this deep dive into houseplants started last fall. It was a baby gloriosum. These are crawlers that develop huge, dark, velvety, heart-shaped leaves. They are my absolute favorite, and I thought I would have to spend anywhere from $100-300 on one. Again, $8.48. Well, technically it was more like $8.25 after military discount, plus tax. I'm still in shock that I have these plants, after three full seasons of dreaming over them as I watched my YouTube videos.

I came home and spent more than two hours taking almost every plant in the living room and dining room to the sink for a spray from the tap to wash off dust and fertilizer watering. A quick count tells me that was 45-46 plants total. Didn't touch the bathroom or bedroom plants, or water outside. That's really what made my back sore. I still had to go to Walmart for the drying rack afterwards, and cat litter and stuff, and that was a test of strength, I tell you.

While at Walmart, I got something very important. I picked up Candyland. Little girl is now 3 years old, and easily smart enough to learn the rules. Today was game night anyway, and I told those who came (including Valerie) that it was time to add another player to our group. J sat this one out (they needed rest), so it was four adults and Valerie, who mastered the game with ease. I was so happy to have a game for her, with the regular group enjoying playing along. I also made beverages for her and for me. The men were drinking beer. We girls were drinking chocolate milk in matching glasses. We have finally left sippy cups completely behind. (That seemed like it took forever.) I ended up finishing the game first, and she came in second. We all cheered for her when she completed it. I would say her first game night was a huge hit, and she will be eager to join in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment