Monday, June 19, 2023

Is Potato

Inspirational song: We're Not Gonna Take It (Twisted Sister)

Oops. I appear to have gotten Valerie into her first hair metal band. She was in the kitchen, playing with off-brand Lego blocks, and she was mumbling something that sounded like "not going to take it anymore." I didn't ask where she learned that. I'm assuming from one of her movies. But immediately, I started singing that rock anthem from the 80s. She smiled at that, and once I showed her the video, she loved it and wanted me to play it over and over. I tried going through a few other bands, like Ratt, Whitesnake, and the like, but other than tolerating a minute of Bon Jovi, she just wanted me to go back to Twisted Sister. 

I wasn't supposed to have child care duties while grandpa was gone, but you know how I am. I made it to Monday, and then informed my daughter that I would be taking Valerie shopping, and it might be all day. Her (my daughter's) birthday is this week, so Valerie and I needed to pick out a gift from us. It took three stores and several hours to get it all put together. I still need a gift bag, but we found things that will seem meaningful from the two of us. I think we did all right.

We were going to meet when my daughter was supposed to mail a package at the USPS location inside of Ace Hardware, and then get frozen yogurt on the other side of the parking lot. Signals got crossed. I was looking for them in Ace, while they had already gone over for fro-yo. (The post office was closed. Neither one of us remembered it was Juneteenth.) While wandering in the garden section, I found the holy grail. I have been trying to find Supertunia Vista Jazzberry since last growing season. Nowhere in town had it, and the Proven Winners website was sold out. But there it was, in my local Ace, three pots of it, on buy-2-get-1 sale. I nearly shrieked when I saw it. I'm still giddy.

Valerie and I made potato soup together, because I had half a gallon of milk that wasn't getting any younger. While she was watching me chop Yukon gold potatoes, she was offering comments like, "that's a kiwi." Deadpan, I said to her, "Is potato." She later suggested it was avocado. Again, in that deep Stephen Colbert fake Russian accent voice, I said, "No. Is potato." Pretty sure my comedy was wasted on her.

There is a ton more to report from today, but I think I will save some for tomorrow. Is bed time.

(I told the family, Dmitri is a man of letters.)

No comments:

Post a Comment