Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Colonization

Inspirational song: Lady (Little River Band)

I really needed this day to work on my own stuff. I was not afforded the opportunity. Before I could even get ready for Rotary, I found out my buddy who used to live here in Colorado was flying in for a single day, and she suggested we spend a few hours together while we had the chance. I still went to my meeting, because the Mr went to pick her up and grab a glutinous lunch before I got to see her. A few hours later, I drove her down to Louisville, to another friend's house, where she was staying the night before flying out again.

In the short time she was here, I also assembled a lasagna to take to another friend, before setting out to run errands with the first friend. One of the places we went was to the Cheese Importers, which we used to always frequent when we got together up here, before she moved. They still haven't reopened the café there, which makes me sad, but they still have all kinds of fun European gifts and snacks, in addition to the massive selection of the best cheeses around. I bought a tin of candy, not cheese, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the bacon gouda I came across. I'm going to have to go back and get some to try on a day I'm not about to spend an hour in the car.

On the way back from dropping her off, I stopped at the Flower Bin, to acquire two containers of ladybugs. While there, naturally I walked the entirety of the annuals greenhouse, getting a few extras for the porch, but mostly just daydreaming while looking at all the pretty flowers. I was exhausted by the time I got home, sitting in the car in the driveway for an undetermined length of time before figuring out how to move my arms and legs to get out of the car. I found that the grandkids had come over for a short babysitting session while I was gone, so rather than work on my own stuff, I played with kids.

I set the ladybugs loose on the sour cherry tree, that we discovered today is thick with aphids. The ladybugs streamed out of their containers, zooming all over the tree to stake their claims. I told my family it was like witnessing the Oklahoma Land Rush of 1889. I hope they really settle into their new cherry tree territory.

By the time we dropped off the lasagna to the recipient and returned the kids home, I was so tired as to be catatonic. I also hurt so much I couldn't raise my arms. I've been waiting for a pain killer to start working, so that I can get myself from the chair to the bed. And I never once had a free moment to follow up from yesterday, to see whether my application went through. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment